MGMA’s mission is to serve members, customers, and the healthcare community as a trusted partner by delivering insights, solutions, and advocacy to achieve medical practice excellence. Fulfilling our mission is critically more important this year than ever before. We are here to help medical practices survive the rapidly changing landscape faced by our industry as well as strengthen a sustainable medical practice that will succeed into the future. In response to our ever-changing industry and as the certifying body for standards of excellence in medical practice, the American College of Medical Practice Executive (ACMPE) identified the need to update the Body of Knowledge (BOK) for medical practice administration.
Based on certification standards from the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), we conducted an extensive survey analysis of our industry and gathered insights from subject matter experts representative of our membership’s entire demographic to identify and prioritize the critical tasks of our profession. This data was used to identify key subject areas, or domains, and create the corresponding tasks under each domain. This transpired to a new BOK framework covering the updated domains of Operations Management, Financial Management, Human Resources, Transformative Healthcare Delivery, Risk and Compliance, and Organizational Governance.
As the healthcare industry and medical practice evolves and changes, the American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE) is committed to continually reviewing and updating our resources and examinations related to the Body of Knowledge to ensure that content remains current and relevant and our certification program continues to serve as the gold standard for medical practice expertise.
Some benefits of board certification:
ACMPE board certified professionals enjoy:
Fellows are members of ACMPE who have chosen to advance beyond board certification. Fellowship (FACMPE) is the highest level of distinction in the medical management field.
The Body of Knowledge
The Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management is the most comprehensive, authoritative resource for those who seek to assess and develop their skills and knowledge in this profession. Every profession possesses a body of knowledge representing the entirety of information about that profession. It’s one way that professionals establish their claim to an expertise that deserves recognition. The Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management represents just such an achievement. It defines and legitimizes the unique knowledge and skill set for the medical practice management profession. It helps set the standards that preserve the profession’s integrity and promote its growth.
- General Practice Operations, Strategic Planning, Project Management, Supply Chain Management and Asset Management, Facility Management, Business Ventures, Information Technology, Communications, Marketing and Community Relations Plans, Productivity, Compensation, and Monitoring Benchmarks for Providers, and Quality Initiatives
- Revenue Cycle, Cash Flow Management, Accounts Payable Management, Payroll Management, Budget Creation and Management, Financial Reporting, Audit Management, and Corporate Tax Reporting
Human Resource Management
- Clinical and Nonclinical Staffing Plans, Clinical and Nonclinical Staffing Recruitment, Labor Relations and Employment Law, Staff Compensation and Benefit Plans, Talent Management, Employee Engagement
Transformative Healthcare Delivery
- Care Models, Payment Models, Organizational Models, Innovation and Emerging Technologies
Risk and Compliance Management
- Facilitate the corporate legal structure and the governance for the organization, Compliance with applicable laws and regulations, Accreditation, credentialing, and licensing, Emergency Preparedness, and Cybersecurity
- Corporate Mission, Vision, and Values, Organizations Legal Structure and Governance, and Organizational Policy and Procedure
For additional information, please access a FAQ page.
To apply for board certification and work toward obtaining the CMPE credential, you must:
Once you have fulfilled the qualifications and MGMA has verified your professional experience, you will be notified of your acceptance.
After program acceptance, you will need to fulfill three requirements to earn your CMPE credential. These requirements can be completed in the order that works for you:
For more information about the exams, applicable fees and upcoming exam registration dates, visit our ACMPE examination page.
The CMPE Certification Exam will reflect the new Body of Knowledge. Specifically: